Monday, November 15, 2010

I have been very busy lately. I recently took some metalsmithing classes at the museum and I made this really great bracelet.









I also started this cuff  to the left, but I have a ways to go before it is finished.






I started out by making a bead out of copper sheet metal. We first made two disks. Then we shaped them on a dapping block. Then we drilled holes in both pieces with a drill press. Then we filed the edges with fine grit sandpaper. And then we soldered them together.






I was also experimenting with chainmail. This is a Byzantine style chainmail bracelet. I don't know the diameter of the jump rings. I thought they were 6mm but they are more like 9 mm.











I took a class at Meant2Bead on hammered jewelry. These are hammered pieces in copper. I also made a set in silver. I have been wanting to wear these but I wanted to take a photo first. there is a necklace and earrings as well as clasps for future projects. Hammering was really fun.









And finally, my current obsession: stamped metal. Here are two charms I made and riveted together. I have always wanted to work in metal and here I am! Working in metal! I envision all kinds of really cool metal projects in the future.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Wow! Metal working! And Chain Mail!!! So cool! I didn't know that it was you.

Unknown said...

Yes, I have a whole studio in the basement where I work with metal. I love it. I haven't time lately to work on anything because I am taking some classes at the university, but plan on getting back into it in the summer.